Re: [TowerTalk] 75 meter antenna, low and high angles

To: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 meter antenna, low and high angles
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:52:11 -0400
> For the chap who wanted to improve the high angle
performance of his 95-foot apex inverted vee while
maintaining its DX performance, I offer the following idea.

> I have not tested this on EZNEC, but it seems feasible.
>
> Add another inverted vee as a reflector an appropriate
distance below the 95-foot apex. Add a relay in the middle
to break it when not required as a reflector.

> When you need good close-in performance, close the relay,
activating the reflector, and fire upwards. When you want
low-angle performance, open the relay and remove it from the
equation.

> Seems a simpler solution than adding another antenna,
particularly a NVIS loop with multiple supports and another
feedline. (No offence intended to the NVIS loop crowd,
merely stating what should, I think, be obvious.)

Sounds like the best idea so far.

73 Tom