[TowerTalk] Polyrod Panic

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Polyrod Panic
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 18:18:59 EDT
I'm not sure why some guys have a problem with the Poly.  I have unspooled
three reels of 1200 ft each.  I have heard tales of guys suffering "low blows'
to vulnerable parts of their bodies as well as the stuff getting out of hand.

I unrolled approximately 200 foot pieces at a time from the first 1200 footer
and was gun-shy since I was doing it myself with no help.  Other than being a
pain in the butt having to walk the stuff around until I reached the magic
200 foot mark, it was quite easy.  I left it lying on the ground and took no
special measures to keep it in place.  The only casualty I suffered were
fiberglass splinters....my stupidity since I didn't wear gloves.  The second
roll went
the same way...no sweat.

The third roll was loaded up on my pickup truck to deliver six pieces of 65
feet to a local club.  We unrolled the pieces from the roll and then I brought
it back to my place after I had taped it up.  I then unrolled some more at my
place after I brought it back home.  Again, I had no problems.

I'll unroll 5/16 Poly any day as opposed 1/4 inch EHS.

By the way, putting the PLP grips on the 5/16 is about as much fun as putting
the grips on the Phillystran.

Bill K4XS