Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 03:47:43 +0000
VE4XT chipped in with this:

>http://www.wade-antenna.com/
>
>There does not appear to be technical specs on-line.

Let's consider what is there to be the specifications for their products.

Although I believe this thread is about their DMX, DXMD, DXHD &
DMX-B products, I see something about in the GN documentation
that probably sums it all up - both GN16 & GN18 have the same
wind load rating (0.28 m^2) despite the former being made of heavier
gauge material.

The DMX-B documentation also says "no concrete required", same
wind load rating, maximum of 2.5 sections above the house bracket -
but by adding guys one can presumably go as high & as big/heavy
a load at the top.

Strikes me as a bit Mickey Mouse.  No offense to the chap in VE5,
but methinks N4NM has provided the best input so far.  How does
one go about assessing if, with say DMXHD, that for a given antenna
(one with 0.84 m^2 projected wind area), the overall structure is safe
after adding guys?

There isn't even a maximum wind speed rating for the given maximum
projected wind area of the load for any of these towers _without_ guys.

73, VR2BrettGraham