Re: [TowerTalk] Restoring / Preserving Aluminum

To: "KT2Q" <dxdx@optonline.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Restoring / Preserving Aluminum
From: Gene WØQFC <erastber@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:11:04 -0400
1. What's the best product out there for cleaning, restoring and preserving
antenna aluminum? Brush-on? Spray-on?

I use a Scotch-brite pad instead of steel wool; the steel wool will leave
minute particles of aluminum embeded on the elements.

2. Is penetrox the best way to prevent oxidation on balun connections etc? Is
it a good idea to spray connections with non-metalic paints after applying
penetrox?

Mosley says that their compound is best because of their "Secret Sauce" that
they add; I have used NOALOX, made by Ideal for aluminum electrical wire with
good results.

3. Noalox is still used for aluminum element connections and so on -- are there
any new and improved compounds?

4. Do spray or brush-on aluminum preservative paints / laquers eventually crack
/ peal? Anything available that doesn't?

I used a clear acrylic spray made by Krylon with good results; I took down my
TA-33JR after being up for four years and it looked the same as the day I put
it up.

The tower is a U.S. Tower model HD555. It's been up for 5 years. What products
are best for cable lubrication, cleaning greasing the tower section contacts
etc? There are a few small rust spots on the tower and steel mast and was told
that Naval grease will do the trick. Is rustoleum paint a good product to use
after rust removal?

I used Rustoleum with very good results and the nice thing is that you do not
have to remove all of the rust - just wire brush the bad spots.
Hope this helps!

Gene, WØQFC