[TowerTalk] automatic winches for towers

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] automatic winches for towers
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:50:49 -0500
I'm sure this will start a mini discussion.
But I don't think I'd ever feel safe trying to use remote raising/lowering.

I'm also sure that others have for decades without problems.

But if your looking for a safe and simple system you may want to look at the
winches at
Thern
http://www.thern.com/

They even have a worm gear winch that can be powered by an electric drill.

I used a (now discontinued 2K lb worm gear) winch and a Milwaukee Hole Hawg
right angle
drill.
I had a local tool&die shop turn me a winch shaft to drill chuck adapter.
No strain at all.
If I'm going on a trip, I lower the tower, loosen the chuck and put the drill
away.
(Plus you have the benefit of a tradesman quality 1/2 drill for work.)

BTW: Worm gear winches are usually preferred over spur gear winches as when you
stop
cranking, they hold their position without need of a brake.

Am I in the right family tree?

Bill H. in Chicagoland