Re: [TowerTalk] rotating guy collar source?

To: "Bill VanAlstyne, W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rotating guy collar source?
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:48:12 -0700
Do you even need a bearing???

What if you put a spring in the antenna (or enough sag) and let the halyard
wrap around the tower as it turns?  If the tower were 6" in diameter, that's
only 18" change in length of the antenna, which for a full sized halfwave
antenna at 80 or 160... Sure, the cable's going to spiral as it wraps, but I
doubt that a foot or so will make any appreciable (or measureable)
difference in the antenna performance.