Re: [TowerTalk] Utility poles/McFarland

To: <k4sb@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Utility poles/McFarland
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:56:08 -0400
  From: Pat Barthelow<mailto:aa6eg@hotmail.com>
  To: k4sb@bellsouth.net<mailto:k4sb@bellsouth.net> ;
towertalk@contesting.com<mailto:towertalk@contesting.com>
  Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 10:47 AM

  Years ago Telerex made some side mount brackets/thrust bearings for
  rotatable antennas mounted on poles.  Quite generic, made from angle iron
  and I assume, metal plate.  The idea mentioned  by Ed, below, using the Rohn
  25 top seems a good one.  Some years back I contacted McFarland-Cascade, to
  compare pricing for a big pole vs Big tower, and was pleasantly surprised.
  A Class A, 120 ft, pressure  treated pole as I recall was about $7000
  delivered to central California   (with about half that being transportation
  costs.)   Weighed about 8K lbs.   Probably another $1K to get it  vertical
  in a hole.  And some more, (but reasonable)  for installing pole steps.  For
  that you get a bullet proof, self supporting, climbable  antenna support far
  far stronger than steel towers, and it has a more acceptable eye impact
  than lattice towers.  The rule of thumb of the utility construction crews
  around here is to bury it 10% of it's height, plus 2 ft.  Assuming good
  soil, the savings on non necessary concrete foundations would also be
  substantial.  One wooden pole manual I have seen rates some 60 ft wooden
  poles as being able take a side lode at the top, of more than 1200 lbs....
  I dont know the bottom line costs for a Steel Self supporter that is 120 ft,
  but recon  it is far more than an equivelant wooden pole....
  Check McFarland  Cascasde site:
http://www.mcfarlandcascade.com/<http://www.mcfarlandcascade.com/>

  73, de Pat AA6EG   aa6eg@hotmail.com<mailto:aa6eg@hotmail.com>