[TowerTalk] Tower height questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower height questions
From: Gary Stone <n5pht@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:38:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi to all,

I am currently planning on an 80 foot tower - Rohn
45G.  I am interested to know if there is data or
personal views about two things:

1- Antenna height.  My plan is to put up an Optibeam
OB17-4 at about 82 feet (77' tower plus a few feet of
the mast and the OB17-4 would sit right above the
tower - so a height of 82 feet).
QUESTION:  How would the performance differ if I
dropped one section of tower?  That would leave 67
feet of tower and the antenna would therefore be at
about 72 feet?   This antenna has 3 elements on 40
meters and that would be my most concern on the 10
foot drop?  I don't think 10,15 or 20 would suffer too
much from 82 to 72 feet but I am not sure about 40
meters?

2- Strength.  The 45G will be guyed in two places.
What would be the suggested guying placements for the
77 foot and for the 67 foot?  I would think for the 77
foot the first guy would be at 35 feet and the next
(and last) at about 65 or 70 feet?  But would the 67
feet still be guyed about the same: 35 feet and maybe
then again at 63 feet or so.  IF I go with this 10
foot less what would be the strength gain since I will
still be using 2 sets of guys.

Overall my goal is to have a better performer than my
current A4S at 45 feet.  I also don't want to
sacrifice 10 feet of tower if it will make a marked
difference.

The main consideration is that I can easily get a
crane into the right place but the tip of the crane
goes to 87 feet only so if I drop on section that
would be very manageable.

Thanks in advance for any ideas?

73 de N5PHT, Gary

**** <><> JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO I <><>  ****