Re: [TowerTalk] Mystery tribander

To: <Wt8r@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mystery tribander
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 02:20:37 -0400
Or it could be a Cushcraft ATB-34.

How is the driven element attached to the boom?  If it fits into a
cylindrical phenolic insulator it is *probably* the ATB34.  They normally
used a balum but direct coax connections were not unusual with about a 10
turn choke.  The line/balun was attached to the driven element of the
ATB-34 with single 1/4-20 SS screw on each side which turned in to hold the
element, while  locking nuts and washers held the line/balun.   If that
doesn't describeit, then it's not an ATB-34.

HyGain made one as well, (TH-4 I believe). At any rate they also had one
with three elements with traps and one single element used as a 10meter
reflector.  So, although the antenna had 4 elements it really operated as a
three element on each band with better spacing for the 10 meter reflector
had it been part of the longer reflector with traps.

There are a lot of similarities between the various makes for this
particular antenna, but each tended to use a slightly different method of
feeding and mounting the drivern element.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com