Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - tri-ex MW-50

To: 'Mark Krubsack' <ke6oi@ke6oi.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - tri-ex MW-50
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 08:01:34 -0700
The MW-50 was made by Tri-Ex in Visalia, so if you're in Fresno, the tower
hasn't traveled very far.  It's an old model that hasn't been made in many
years, so it's probably from the 1960s or so.  It's a light-duty tower, 3
sections, webbed construction, and does not accommodate an interior rotor,
so if you're using it for a beam you'll need to mount the rotor on top of
the tower, which of course limits what you can actually turn.  I wouldn't
mount anything larger than a small HF tribander (A3, TH-3, C3, etc) on it;
or, a couple of VHF beams.  If the galvanizing looks good and there's no
rust, and the winch works fine, and the cabling looks good (no fraying),
it's probably worth $200.  Remember you'll still need a base, rebar and
concrete, so the installation will certainly cost more than the tower.  The
MW-50 and MW-65 were popular models for trailer use, i.e., mounting on a
trailer for portable operations.  I had an MW-65 (4 section, 65' version of
the MW-50) on a trailer for many years before it finally died.  -WB2WIK/6