Re: [TowerTalk] Comments on Array Solutions "dissimilar antennas"phasing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Comments on Array Solutions "dissimilar antennas"phasingapplication note.
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:04:47 -0400
> In connection with a post about phasing dissimilar
antennas in a stack,
> someone posted a link to a way to determine the phases
using an oscilloscope

> http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/dissimilarants.htm
>
> Determining the received phase of signals from stacked
antennas is something
> that I've been spending a lot of time on recently at work,
albeit at 7 GHz,
> not 14 MHz, but the principals are the same.  So, here are
a few comments:

SNIP>>>

The scope isn't even necessary, but more interesting why
would I want the source at a mile or more distance? The
phase measurement would be much more accurate with a source
several hundred feet away rather than a mile or more. The
source distance only has to be large compared to height
differences between antennas.

What's with this "mile" thing people always use? Is it
because AM BC station FS is normalized (not measured, but
normalized) to standard distances like "one km"  or "one
mile"??

Will a scope connected directly to an antenna system with
horizontal polarization actually display an HF signal
cleanly from a 100w rig a mile or more away, especially
enough to measure phase?? I have serious doubts.

73 Tom