Re: [TowerTalk] Text Messaging VS CW Results - Jay Leno Show

To: "Chuck O'Neal" <cdoneal@comcast.net>, <paul@w8aef.com>,"Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Text Messaging VS CW Results - Jay Leno Show
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 04:15:03 -0400
From: "Chuck O'Neal" <cdoneal@comcast.net>
To: <paul@w8aef.com>; "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>;
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 2:10 AM

> Um....an "exchange" in a CW contest is vastly different than sending an
> information based message with real words as done on the Tonight Show.
> Voice will win out since one can understand up to 300 words a minute
> although the average is 150 WPM or so.

I think you will find in the real world under normal conditions voice will
be considerably slower than that.  At 150 WPM voice begins to sound strange
and comprehension except for short bursts does not hold up well.  I doubt
there are very few people who could comfortabley carry on a conversation at
300 WPM.with the average probably incapable of 150.

You can carry on a conversation at normal reading speed. (How fast can you
read out loud with a normal sounding voice, prpper emphasis and
seperation?)Faster than that and the average individual will start losing
comprehension.   In college I had a number of classes where you could pay
attention or take notes, but not both. One of those was data base structures
and theory and we went out to 7th normal form which is a difficult concept
to begin and takes time to digest.  I cheated.  I wore an ear piece hooked
to a tape recorder for amplification. I not only could hear better, I could
record (which was prohibited) with the hearing aid they thought I was
wearing.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com