Re: [TowerTalk] 220/240 volt soldering irons

To: WW5L@gte.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 220/240 volt soldering irons
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:31:12 -0700
At 08:46 AM 5/18/2005, Tom Anderson wrote:

>Fellow tower talkians:
>
>Any one know of a source stateside for 220/240 volt soldering irons I
>can take to a friend overseas?
>
>I've found a couple Weller irons, one a 25 watt (WP25D) for $38.06 and
>the other a 100 watt (W60PD3) for $74.13 from All Spec. Heck Sears
>wanted less than $10.00 yesterday for a 25 watt iron in a store I visited.
>
>I tried several places, but few listed 220/240 volt irons.  I  figured
>that the current draw of a 25-40  watt 120 volt domesticmig  ht be a
>little much for some of those tourist voltage converters.

25-40 W isn't all that much, and the grungiest "series diode" converter
will work just fine (you could build one yourself... 100W is less than an
amp on 120V.)

My wife runs her 1200W hairdryer using those tourist converters.  It's not
like you need a nice pure sinewave for these things.

>  TSA won't let
>you ship the butane irons such as Pyropen, etc., by air in either
>carryon or checked baggage, as I read their regulations.

You can carry this sort of thing, IF and only if, the butane is
empty.  You'll have to buy butane when you get to where you're going.  You
might check if there's an exception for sealed containers that are approved
for air transport (like the old Bleuet campstove cylinders, which are
totally sealed until installed).