Re: [TowerTalk] Short Ground Rods??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Short Ground Rods??
From: "Dudley Chapman" <chief@thechief.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:34:42 -0400
Warren,

    The PolyPhaser literature says that adjacent lightning ground rods need
be no closer than the sum of their depths.  So two 8 foot rods should be 16
feet apart.  Closer spacing than that does not improve their effectiveness.
In your new QTH, if you have to cut the rods to 4 feet, then they could be 8
feet apart.

Here is a quote from Polyphaser's literature at

http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_TD1016.aspx

   "Ground rods should be placed along the entire length of each radial. The
most cost effective spacing between rods for normal (grassy) soil is two
times the length of a rod into the ground. If 8 foot [2.44 meters] rods are
used, they should be placed on 16 foot [4.88 meters] centers.

    If the soil is not normal (e.g., very dry or sandy), the separation may
be reduced in order to minimize the interconnect inductance. It doesn't hurt
to have the rods too close; it only costs more in material and labor."

 That AZ soil sounds as bad as what I had in New England.  Good luck OM.

Dudley - WA1X

Warren wrote....

We were having an exchange, and I mentioned the seven  (or
maybe more) 20 foot radials with 8 foot ground rods each  10
feet.

Well, my friend advises that none of his ground rods  went
deeper than 4 feet!  Rocks!!  I knew there were rocks,  but
not this bad.

I have been led to believe that all I need to do is saw them  off
at whatever depth they go and zap them with one shots.

Well, now, I am wondering if this means I should set  twice
as many ground rods at five foot intervals rather than10  ft?

Comments plus experience, please.

Regards,
Warren Wolff;
W5KKW; Extra Class;