Re: [TowerTalk] Small Yagi Advice

To: <kk9a@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Small Yagi Advice
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 19:35:42 -0400
John,

> BTW, for those who compare the 3el SteppIR to monobanders, for
> only $700 you can purchase the 10m, 15m, and 20m three element
> Hy-Gain monobanders and have optimum element spacing, instant
> band changes and SO2R.  You can have instant direction change if
> you purchase another set : )

Have fun trying to make a stack of three monobanders work on a short
mast.  I can almost guarantee that even the tree element HyGain
monobanders will not work properly on 10 and 15 meters unless you
have 16 feet or so of heavy duty mast to spread them out.  That
mast will add another couple hundred dollars to your cost and
probably a bit of "pucker factor" to the installation.

Every antenna system represents a cost vs. benefit trade off and
the SteppIR includes many pieces of a complex antenna system
(six monobanders, large mast, tower mounted antenna switch, etc.).
It may not be the optimum solution for a contester who wants to
do SO2R with instant bandswitching but for many "single tower"
Dxers and space constrained contesters, it may make a lot of sense.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK