Re: [TowerTalk] Bicep Cramping

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bicep Cramping
From: Jack NK7J <nk7j@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:50:13 -0700
Don't think I have any advice for the cramping issue but will give a thought
on a safety device I use.

I always take up a 11mm line with me as my personal safety line, I don't use
it for loads (except maybe a tool I left down at the bottom). I keep a two
stage carabineer on it attached to my belt until I get to where I am working
the hook it to the tower, then I attach my Petzl ID onto the rope and go to
work.  The ID is a one person rappelling device that is pretty dumb proof.
It can also be used as a load holding device if you so choose.

The device has one handle and to rappel you pull on the handle and the rope
slides through, if you pull to hard it simply brakes and you stop. The older
style I had the harder you pulled the faster you went, not a good device.

Anyway I use it in case I get in a situation where I have may have severe
cramping or have hurt one of my legs or something and cannot climb down I
can simply rappel on my safety line to the ground. Also this works well if
you are up there and a sudden storm comes along and you need to get down
fast.  Self rescue is your best option most of the time.

The ID is not that expensive (like $200) and is well worth it, then go buy
yourself some good static kermantel (sp) rope and keep it in a stuff bag
just for your life line rope, no you don't take the bag up the tower with
you, just put it at the bottom and let it feed out as you climb with the
rope attached to your belt. When your done for the day stuff the rope and
your set for next time.

Of course I say all this assuming your using a harness of some kind, not a
old linemans belt! Don't think it would work so well with those, though you
probably could get yourself to the ground, you would just be chaffed from
the belt I would imagine.

Anyway to me it is cheap insurance and well worth the bother of learning how
to use it.

Jack

NK7J