Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Planes vs. ground mounted verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Planes vs. ground mounted verticals
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:26:43 -0400
Maybe it is QTH-dependant and I don't know what the models say, but in A/B
tests I've found ground-mounted verticals with 120 1/2-wave radials perform
significantly better than elevated verticals with 4 radials.

I use that configuration for a 40m 4-square, 80m 2 element, and single 160m
vertical.  I have a LOT of wire out there (~30,000ft for each system) and
laying them all out and nailing them down (to the contour of the land) was
an enormous task.  Not having to do all that work would a big advantage if
it actually performed as well, but I've not found that to be the case.

Tom, NI1N