[TowerTalk] Antenna Survivability

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Survivability
From: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:39:34 EDT
When checking out which antenna will survive the  harshest
of threats, pay all the attention to the experienced  fellows
on here----not the manufacturer.

Years ago, I had some fancy UHF antennas put on top  of
100 meter towers in Kuwait.  Only rare, really rare,  times would any ice at
all show up there, but the wind blows.  These  antennas were
rated at 100 mph by the US  manufacturer.  After just a few months,
we found a piece of aluminum element on  the ground - - - more to
follow in days.

The Minister of Defense requested/demanded that I produce  test
sheets from the manufacturer to verify that I/we had not  short
changed them!  Well, they did NOT have any.  They  had put these,
the ruggedized versions, together by the seat of their  britches.

Bottom line; I had to replace/rebuild them at my cost.   Manufacturer
would not stand behind them according to my Purchasing  Dept.  I
had to pop for $1000 per antenna times two per tower times  10
towers.  My company?  Lockheed Aircraft Service Co;  the supplier?
Phelps-Dodge, if I recall correctly.  My chief engineer  has passed
on or I would ask him.  Probably a mute point now; Saddam  stole
the whole system.

Good  luck in your survey,  Warren;  W5KKW