Re: [TowerTalk] folded radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] folded radials
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:59:53 +0000
N0AH described his radials, ending with:

>No need to respond unless you want to.  I thought I just throw my two  cents
>in about folded radials because I thought they were not all that  effective.
>So far for me they have worked great in my little backyard.

Paul, every time I see you drive by, I honk & wave, but you don't seem
to notice.  I have seen at least a half dozen different cars around here
with an "NOAH" sticker on the back.  How can you afford to keep so
many on the road?  ;^)

I wonder if cutting off what would otherwise be folded & squeeze that
in as another shorter radial where space is limited would be better.
On the ground the radials are not reasonant, a longer radial would be
nice to provide somewhere for the current to get back easily from
further away, but the current in the folded bit presumably nearer your
vertical might have a ways to go before it gets back to the base.

Where I might put a vertical on the ground, three-quarters of the
radial field ends within about a meter, so neither method is much help
here.  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham