Re: [TowerTalk] Steel vs. Phillystran guys...tower failure modes!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steel vs. Phillystran guys...tower failure modes!
From: "StellarCAT" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:44:40 -0700
in addition... while thinking about the conclusion of K7NV's tower stress
analysis I wondered
why I have never heard of a tower failing due to the BASE rupture or anything
related to the base!
If indeed the worse case stress is at the base with the lowest safety factor
typically being caused
by bending then why are there no failures at this point?! [Or are there and I
have just not heard of them?]

All the tower failures I have heard of were due to twisting and not related to
the base failing. Thus is it
indeed possible, although the math says it is the weakest link, that the base
has a higher safety factor
(i.e. something was left out of the calculation - not an unusual circumstance
and by no means a
derogatory comment on K7NV's excellent analysis)?

Has anyone heard of a tower failing AT THE BASE (when installed properly of
course)?

Also - does anyone have the RTS rotating tower system rotor and can you say if
there is any "pivot"
capability due to the rotor section? If it allows pivoting of even 1/2 degree
this would I believe be the
equivalent of a tapered point base section would it not?

Gary
K9RX