[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Advise

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Advise
From: K2EK@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:33:52 EDT
Hello all...

Within the next few months, construction begins on my new hilltop QTH.

Obviously, I am already planning for the installation of a pair of 45G
towers, which
for the heights I expect,  Rhon specs (4A  or 4B) call for guy anchors at a
depth of 4 feet.

Enter the problem...
As the location is a typical northeast, rock prevails -  it is everywhere and
in my case,
is gneiss - a hard granitelike rock.   Out of the 6 anchor locations, I may
get lucky and find
4 feet at one or 2 - in some places rock shows above the soil line.  Zoning
requirements plus the slope of the hill kind of limit siting the towers so I
really do not have the luxury of moving things around much searching for
suitably deep soil.  At best, I can rotate the guys around the tower axis a
bit.

I'd like to hear from anyone having solved installation in similar terrain.

I imagine I could have the rock hammered out, but intuitively that sounds
expensive.
Rather than removing a lot of very hard rock, to just turn around and re-fill
with concrete wouldn't it be possible to drill a suitable hole and set some
kind of anchor rod in it?

73 de Bill
K2EK