Re: [TowerTalk] 135 foot dipole, 300 ohm twinlead

To: "'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <k2xx@swva.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 135 foot dipole, 300 ohm twinlead
From: "Buck - N4PGW" <n4pgw-list2@towncorp.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:52:06 -0400

The tuner is the TenTec 247.  The problem is everywhere on the TV. The balun
is a toroid wrapped in wire inside the tuner.

> > >I had a 129 foot dipole fed with CATV coax.  It did ok,
> but where the
> > >aluminum met the copper, it oxidized and I have been
> suffering with AM
> > >broadcast band bleedover on all frequencies below 14 MHz.
> I recently
> > >replaced it with a 135 foot dipole fed by 300 ohm TV
> twinlead to my tuner on
> > >which my IC-706 sits.  The problem I have now is TVI.
> When I get the
> > >antenna tuned and run more than 30 watts, the TV pictures
> turn red, green,
> > >or blue.  We are on Cable TV and I cannot recall the last
> time I had TVI
> > >other than when I operated 6 meters and the rig is
> sitting less than two
> > >feet from my TV.  (the TVI now is all over the house.)  I
> don't know if it
> > >is getting into neighbors homes at this time.
>
> If the problem is on all channels, it sounds like common
> mode RF. If it is common mode RF, both the TV system and
> perhaps your antenna may be at fault. Certainly the TV
> shares some or most of the blame, unless you have a heap of
> problems.

It is also causing noise on 2 meters occasionally.

> If the problem is channel specific, like say only on low VHF
> channels, you most likely have harmonic issues.

Nope!  It is on all channels.

> I'd sort out what the problem is Buck by giving enough
> information, otherwise anything anyone says is nothing but a
> wild guess. My wild guess at the moment is you have an
> unbalanced feedline condition resulting in common mode
> currents on the chassis of your equipment.
>
> What tuner?
TenTec 247

> What balun?
Internal balun made of a toroid wrapped in wire.

> How is the twinlead routed? Is it kept away from other
> things?

Outside it hangs from the antenna, drops to about a foot above the ground
and comes into my window along with several pieces of coax.  It goes under
my desk about 6-8 feet and wraps back to the top to the tuner.

I am considering the dual coax connection described in another reply to keep
the lead from having problems with surrounding metals.

> What channels are affected?

I haven't checked but it seems to affect 5, 46 and many others. (cable tv)

> 73 Tom

Thank you

Buck