Re: [TowerTalk] W2TTT

To: "K4SB" <k4sb@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] W2TTT
From: "Jerry K3BZ" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:44:21 -0400
Ed K4SB wrote: "As for me, I refuse to remain a member of a reflector whose
administrator tolerates this."

As much as I might sympathize with a situation like the one Ed describes,
there is no way that the TowerTalk reflector administrator (or any reflector
administrator/moderator) can possibly be a "wise old Solomon" and hand down
judgements on this or ANY disagreement between members. There are always at
least two sides to every story and an unhappy party usually only tells his
own biased version of the dipute. That's human nature, no matter how honest
or objective anyone tries to be. That's why a reflector is no place to air
personal grievances, nor is it a proper forum for resoloution of personal
disputes.

I've seen it said here that it should be OK to air grievances on the
reflector concerning items posted for sale here. IMHO, that's absolute
rubbish. When two parties get together because one of them posts a "for
sale" or "wanted" notice, the role of the reflector as a bulletin board is
over.... all the reflector does is INTRODUCE the parties.   The deal is
negotiated and consummated direct between the parties,  questions can be
asked, arrangements made, safeguards and concerns satisfied by both
parties... all direct between them, off the reflector. Both parties take a
risk in any deal, and any problems that arise on either end should be
resolved the same way they arose....direct, off the reflector.

As far as using the reflector to "warn friends".... if they are friends,  a
personal e-mail of warning can be sent direct.  Everyone has a personal axe
to grind, and there's no way anyone not directly involved in the arrangments
can tell who is "right" and who is "wrong" in a transaction gone bad.  The
reflector should never be allowed to be used as a weapon for disputing
parties to attempt to gain the upper hand, because everyone always believes
most the party who posts theor unhappiness FIRST.  That's human nature too.

An alternative would be not to allow "for sale" or "wanted" notices....or at
least decide not to respond to them.  But in no case can anyone expect the
reflector administrator to decide how a dispute should be resolved... that's
just plain unfair and unreasonable.

My 2 cents....

73,  Jerry K3BZ