Re: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old

To: "TowerTalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:38:01 -0500
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:23:01 -0700 (PDT), Lee Buller wrote:

>What is the pitfalls of allowing the coax to hang freely.

Since the coax is running perpendicular to the antenna, its
proximity to the tower seems unlikely to be much of an electrical
issue, especially if you have a good balun at the feedpoint.

The other issue is mechanical -- if it gets REAL windy, there could
be some serious wear and tear if it bangs around too much. That's
the one that would concern me the most. We have a tower on a
mountaintop in CA that had a feedline on it that wasn't secured
properly, the the winds destroyed it in a year or so. In the
process, it also damaged some nearby stuff.

An easy solution in your case is to simply lower the antennas when
"the big one" comes through.

Jim Brown  K9YC