[TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles, choosing coax, and defying age.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles, choosing coax, and defying age.
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:18:04 -0400
OK...I don't get it.

First, I've been at this since 1958...I'm 60...and
NOT into giving up on anything.  Probably a failing, but
I expect to crash and burn, rather than fizzle.  What is it
they say,  "You are what you were, when" ?

Second, the notion of using OWL and a balun some arbitrary
distance away is nuts.  Try having an 80m dipole and a .25 lambda
OWL feedline....it is NOT a good solution on even harmonics.
Run a KW into it on 40, and you'll see multi-KV in the wrong places.
Wanna see a balun go boom?   Been there, quite recently, in fact.
My solution is an OCF dipole (aka Carolina Windom), which produces
a broad vswr solution,and minimizes voltage peak solutions.

Third,  I agree that single band dipoles are just nifty.  Why not
use RG8X, and forget worrying about the weight of things?  It will
handle 1.5kw just fine, and it's less than half the weight of RG8
or RG213/214.

Or, am I missing something?

N2EA