Re: [TowerTalk] Water in my XM240

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>,Tim Duffy K3LR <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water in my XM240
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 03:08:30 -0500
At 12:23 AM 7/10/2005, Tim Duffy K3LR wrote:
>A few years ago while visiting Frank, W3LPL, he told me he was using
>something better than Penetrox for aluminum joints. Turns out the
>tower crews we use at work are using the same stuff! It
>is great!
>KOPR-SHEILD. It is Conductive anti-corrosion surface compound. It is
>made by Thomas and Betts, their stock number CP8-TB.
>
>I NEVER use caps on elements or booms. You must let the water out!

Tim--

The only problem I see is that Kopr-Shield is recommended for copper
to copper connections ONLY.
Whereas Penetrox is designed for aluminum to aluminum or aluminum to
copper use.

--John  W0UN

Kopr-Shield Colloidal Surface Treatment
Kopr-Shield compound is a unique homogenized blend of pure, polished
colloidal copper, rust and corrosion inhibitors that simultaneously
protects, lubricates and enhances the conductivity of the mating
surfaces to which it is applied. Extremely adhesive, Kopr Shield
compound flows smoothly into uneven contours and voids, making
application easy, protection and lubrication complete and positive. A
stable compound, it will not settle-out, thin, thicken, harden or dry
out under the most severe environmental conditions.
For use with copper products only 4 oz container with brush.

PENETROX A Joint Compound
Penetrox A consists of a natural (petroleum) base vehicle in which
zinc particles are suspended. For Aluminum to Aluminum, Aluminum to
Copper applications for all voltages. It is not recommended for use
with rubber or polyethylene insulated conductors. UL Listed.
    * Aluminum to Aluminum Applications
    * Aluminum to Copper Applications
    * Not recommended for use with rubber or polyethylene materials

PENETROX A13 Joint Compound
Penetrox A13 consists of a synthetic base vehicle in which zinc
particles are suspended. For Aluminum to Aluminum, Aluminum to Copper
applications. Compatible with insulating materials such as rubber or
polyethylene. UL Listed and recommended for all voltages.
    * Aluminum to Aluminum Applications
    * Aluminum to Copper Applications
    * Compatible with rubber and polyethylene insulating materials