Re: [TowerTalk] coax cable charge dissipating through reed relaycontacts

To: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coax cable charge dissipating through reed relaycontacts
From: "Peter Chadwick" <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:39:59 +0100
Al said:

> However, I believe it was Tom Rauch who cautioned about using coax in this
application because of the charged coax lines discharging through the reed
relay contacts and possibly damaging or welding them together. <

Personally, having welded reed relays in the past from capacitive loads, I
would be inclined to put 1kohm each side of the reed relay. Energy storage
in coax lines is well known - some early radars even used coax lines as the
pulse forming network up at several kV!

The comment the other day that 'if the reed starts sticking, replace it', is
an approach with which I heartily agree.

73

Peter G3RZP