Re: [TowerTalk] Dumbing down?

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, "John Geiger" <ne0p@lcisp.com>,"Bill Aycock" <baycock@direcway.com>, <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dumbing down?
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:07:18 -0400

>I have seen answers to the Extra Class that are just plain wrong. No ifs,
>ands or buts.
> That can be the trouble with a multiple choice exam, unless the people
> setting it really know their >stuff................But a recent proposal
> from some teachers in the UK is that no-one should be said to >fail
> anything - just to have achieved 'deferred success'. Because if kids
> 'fail', it discourages them. >Words fail me............

They did that here in the states, maybe 10 years ago... or so under the name
of "Outcome Based Education".  The results were dismal, and the program was
one of pure frustration for most of the teachers.  The program may have made
some of the kids feel better in school, but the real world put those kids in
a heap of hurt.  They'll feel great about themselves until the first job
interview.  Better to expose them to realism up front than build their hopes
only to have the props kicked out from under them.

I pretty much view the license testing at least in a similar manner, but
with mixed feelings.
The multiple choice tests put out by both the FCC and FAA have a number of
questions that to me, do not have a correct answer, or quite possibly they
will have multiple answers that would be considered correct in the real
world.  The official stance is to "just pick the one that is *most*
correct".  That leaves the one taking the test guessing as to what the
person who wrote the test expected.

When I took the Extra it had about two questions on just about any subject
you could think of in Amateur Radio, but there were no problems on it I
couldn't work out in my head..  If they did that now days the test would be
hugh.  Still, the Extra is a "prestige" license.  You gain little except to
prove you could pass a comprehensive test.  It that is the case then it
*should* be tough.

Although this is drifitning OT a bit, I found the test to be quite easy when
I took it.  I'd like to see a good comprehensive section on antennas and
propagation theory added.  If they did I know it'd send me back to the
books. <:-)) If applicants had to pass a test on accepted theory they might
be a bit more skeptical and we'd see fewer "old wives tales" as far as
antennas go. Besides, with a sound knowledge of antenna theory they probably
could get out better and use less power.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com