Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down...extra class test

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down...extra class test
From: "Gregory O'Neal" <goneil@tds.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:15:12 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
 I'm gonna be a critic here for just a moment.  First of all, I fail to see
the relation here of this discussion to towertalk.  I know, I'm not the
moderator, and could really care less either way.   But I personally would
like to thank all you guys who are Gods of Ham radio, if you will, for
letting some of us down.  I for one knew nothing of amateur radio until
shortly before taking my first exam which was for the technician class
license.  Less than 2 months after being introduced to amateur radio, I took
this test and passed.  I did what was required of me to get this license.
Now, had I known about all this back in the days when the tests were so
Hard" or "almost impossible to pass"  I would have done what was necessary
of me at that time to get the license.  I did get my "General" license a
little sooner than I had planned for fear that the 5 wpm code test was going
to be discontinued and thus forever locking me into the class of being a no
code licensee.  To my wife's credit, she also followed suit and got her
General" shortly thereafter before the code might be discontinued.  I later
studied (refreshed my memory) on electronics theory as pertaining to RF and
passed the "Extra" exam the first time around.  Yes, I had Electronics
(communications and digital) at a technical school.   Though I later went
into another field of work due to lack of work available in this field for
my area.  Thus, yes I have gotten rusty, so to speak on my electronics even
though I had a 96 average overall for my studies.  I guess since I didn't
learn about amateur radio before it was " gutted"   I will forever be
considered inferior to the one's that were subjected to this all earlier in
life.  Oh well, can't make everyone happy.  Other than this discussion,
peoples attitudes, on this, I enjoy the radio and won't let those attitudes
stop that.

Greg
WW4JD
       I do appreciate all the "good" info that is passed around here on
occasion though and won't hold peoples attitudes against them.  But since this
reflector can't seem to stay on topic, guess I'll let it hit the bit bucket for
a while.