[TowerTalk] Side mount tribander on SSV tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Side mount tribander on SSV tower
From: "Dick, WN3R" <WN3R@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:14:49 -0400
I'm looking for opinions on whether or not I should even bother to
install a 2 - element SteppIR on a swinging gate attaced to the leg of
an SSV tower at the 55 foot level where the tower is 7 feet wide on a
side.  Somehow (not sure exactly how) the boom would be end mounted to
the swinging gate so both elements would be outside the tower.  Since
the SteppIR has a reverse function, theoretically assuming the tower
would not totally distort and affect the antenna, which can direct the
pattern into and through the tower.  The tower is 120' with 12.5' side
at the base. Being on a mountain top the MonstIR looks great only on
40 meters.  HFTA shows too many nulls on the other bands, hence the
need for a lower antenna.  Of course, a more practical (and expensive)
solution would be to mount a 3 element SteppIR on its own tower. On my
heavily wooded lot, I would consider only self supporting towers.  Too
many trees to damage guy lines.

Please copy your response directly to me at WN3R@arrl.net.