Re: [TowerTalk] Drive on Mast support base - All ready homebrewed...

To: ersmar@comcast.net, "Todd" <kh2tj@sbcglobal.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Drive on Mast support base - All ready homebrewed...
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:05:53 -0700
At 10:11 AM 7/28/2005, ersmar@comcast.net wrote:
>TT:
>
>      Good solution, but guying may be needed depending on antenna load
> (2M Yagi vs HF dipole wires vs UHF vertical.)  Concrete blocks could be
> used as anchors at guy points in parking lots.  Be sure you clearly mark
> the blocks, if used, as pedestrian hazards.
>
>73 de
>Gene Smar  AD3F

In all but the lightest of winds, guying is almost certainly needed, unless
you're willing to tolerate a mast failure.  In lots of portable type ops,
though, having the mast come down (or bend) if a big gust comes up is a
perfectly acceptable way to operate.

I did some analysis on using a car to stabilize a vertical mast with
windloading. I wanted to see if it would rip the rack off the car, for
instance.

http://home.earthlink.net/~w6rmk/antenna/mastcar.htm

The calculations were fairly conservative (large mast diameter, 50ft high,
80 mi/hr wind) but the forces get pretty big, pretty fast.  A concrete
block isn't going to hold a 20 pound load without dragging, and even in a
40 mi/hr wind, you only need about 5 sq ft of total area to drag the block