Re: [TowerTalk] split tubing in base leg

To: "fred muehlen/N5WLA" <n5wla@yahoo.com>,"Peter Sundberg" <sm2cew@telia.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] split tubing in base leg
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 02:31:30 -0400

>I had this happen to one of my towers (80' guyed at two levels) more than
> 20 years ago. I put a small weld at the two ends of the slit just to make

In aircraft we "stop drill" by drilling a small hole at each end of the
crack, but welding is not an option there. However we do the same with
plexaglass windows.  When drilling plexiglass though you have to polish the
inside of the hole as even the scratches on the inside of the hole are
enough to start cracks propogating.

> it stop increasing in length, never had a problem through the years. My
> tower actually had slits in two legs.
>
> Cure for me was to drill a hole in each leg, just at the base, to let
> water
> out of the tower above the concrete foundation. The cause was indeed water

The base of mine sets in about a foot of crushed rock on sand which is under
five feet of concrete so any water that gets in should drain.

> inside the tubing that froze to ice in the winter. I think many people
> have
> this problem, they just don't know about it because they don't inspect
> their towers very well.
>
> Despite what others might say, I can not see a big problem (yet) for a
> tower guyed at 3 levels. The base in my opinion does nothing more than
> hold

I'd never head mention of a problem with guying at three levels. ROHN shows
it in their catalog and I used it as an engineering guide for the building
permit.

> the tower in place, it does not hold it in an upright position to any

The base probably gets far more torsional force than tilting.
<snip>
N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com