Re: [TowerTalk] Sparky Pays a Visit

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sparky Pays a Visit
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:30:56 -0500
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:12:31 -0500, Gedas wrote:

>I have 3 towers up, one at 80', one at 50' and one at 70'.
>Each is a Universal Aluminum self supporting tower which I
>have supplemented with a single set of 3/16" steel guy wires
>about 2/3 of the way up.  Each tower leg has it's own 10'
>ground rod connected with a 3' length of #0 wire.

Somehow, I missed the part where you said that the ground rods
were all bussed together outside the house, that the power system
ground was tied into that ground outside the house, etc. There can
be some huge potentials between those points you call "ground"
before and during a strike, and they should definitely all be
bonded together. Would that have saved you the visit?  We'll never
know. But it might have helped.

Jim K9YC