Re: [TowerTalk] Sparky Pays a Visit

To: "Steve London" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sparky Pays a Visit
From: "EUGENE SMAR" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:53:18 -0400

     Polyphaser's The Grounds for Lightning and EMP Protection, Second
Edition, has this to say about radial grounds on rocky soil (p.22):

     In this situation [rocky soil], numerous slightly shorter lengths
[radials], along with using solid flat strap radial conductors, has been
proven to work.  The copper strap's sharp edge will concentrate the E fields
that are present due to the existing L di/dt voltage drop and breakdown or
arc onto the surface of the rock or soil.

     On solid bare rock, straps will help spread out the charge on to the
surface of the rock.

     What I take away from these passages is that, on rocky soil, one should
use a multitude of copper straps that are not too long (< 75 feet) and that
cover a wide area.  (And keep your fingers crossed.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F