Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 base3

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 base3
From: Pete Smith <>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:39:09 -0400
Does Rohn really make a base plate like this?  The only one I'm aware of
for 25 is the pier pin base, which has one hole in the middle (more or
less).  For a guyed tower, the base requirements are really minimal -
sufficient resistance against downforce and a little for lateral movement
of the base -- in fact, some analyses suggest that the pier pin, where the
base is free to tilt or twist a little, may be the best from the standpoint
of distributing stresses (or anyhow, avoiding a "hot spot" at the bottom.

So maybe all you need is a pier pin and 1 8-inch hole.

73, Pete

At 12:38 PM 8/4/2005, wrote:
>In a message dated 8/4/2005 9:07:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> writes:
> >  A friend wants to replace and old free standing hbx tower with a new
> Guyed
>60 foot Rohn 25. He wants to use the old concrete in the ground  by using a
>new Rohn base plate and drilling 4 holes into the old concrete and adding
>long bolts and using epoxy to hold them in. Does anyone have experience with
>this approach and any positive or negative comments. thanks van
>     Yep, that's the way you do it. Rent an impact drill and bit and you're
>good to go. Drilling doesn't take long at all. The rental place probably
>has the
>industrial concrete epoxy you need too. BTW the epoxy is stronger than the
>concrete. People use this technique every day.
>Steve    K7LXC
>Professional tower services for commercial and amateur
>Cell: 206-890-4188
>See:  for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless
>TowerTalk mailing list

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.