Re: [TowerTalk] Radials for Arrays

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials for Arrays
From: Michael Rauh <mikerauh@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:14:43 -0700 (PDT)
Let me try again.

Neglect radial connections at the antenna bases.

A four-square radial system with 60 radials the same
length as the array spacing requires 128 connections
if the radials are connected and terminated at the
common chords.

It looks to me like the same system needs 932
connections if all the radials are made full-length
and connected wherever they cross.

Clearly, the common-chord method requires a lot less
work and wire as well.

The problem is that I don't understand the rationale
for this method.  I don't see how the wire on the
other side of the chord from a given antenna helps
return current to that antenna.

So why do we believe a common-chord connected radial
system works as well as a system with four complete
sets of radials?

Mike Rauh W8GT