Re: [TowerTalk] 160 antenna

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 antenna
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 06:08:04 -0500
On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 05:42:52 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:

>IMO the best solution is the suggestion to tie the
>feeder wires together and feed the antenna like a "T"
>against a good ground.

This has worked for me. I don't have a big signal, but
it works well enough that what I can work is limited as
much by receive noise as by my transmitted signal. In my
case, I don't have a "good ground," but I do have a
reasonable counterpoise.  It loads pretty easily with a
TenTec tuner (and no external capacitance). In fact, it
works better than the same antenna loaded as a dipole on
80 in directions that are off the end of the antenna.

which is from Kraus.

It is QUITE important that there be no choke balun in
the usual place at the dipole center. The first time I
tried this configuration, I burned up a conventional
balun with 100 watts during the first contest weekend
that I used it. The reasons should be obvious.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.