Re: [TowerTalk] 160 antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 antenna
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:54:44 -0500
Good reference Tom, and I notice it is your write-up.  Nicely done.

I didn't want to recommend the approach of adding coils into the
antenna, because the 80M dipole is just too short, and this approach is
not nearly as good as feeding it as a vertical tee. But to give him a
direct answer to his question, I just did a comparison without feedline
or tuner losses, which did not justify the effort involved.  Actually if
I had included these losses, it would have made the approach of adding
coils look better, because the feedline and tuner losses would have
decreased, compared to using the plain 80M dipole. (as you noted in your
latter comment).  So maybe this comparison wasn't exactly fair, but
still, I don't think this is good way to do it, system efficiency will
still be low, and the 250uH coil is probably a disaster (didn't
investigate that one, other than the fact that at 1500 watts the voltage
across the coil in in the range of 15,000 volts).

I could not find a solution using an inductor across the feedpoint. The
size of the inductor can be reduced by moving it further toward the
center of the antenna, or adding more length to the pigtail, but this
totally messes up the impedance at 80M.  So now we are back into the
trap approach which is not good either.

There may be some other possibilities using some kind of linear loading,
but this is now becoming a different antenna.

Jerry, K4SAV