Re: [TowerTalk] Loos Tension Gauge

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loos Tension Gauge
From: "Dick" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:58:59 -0500
When we calibrated cable tensiometers for aircraft cables we suspended a
known weight from a cable attached to a fixed point and measured the
tension on the cable with the instrument under test.  I don't know why
you couldn't perform a similar test either substituting different cables
or as John says below, put a known and unknown in series and build a
calibration chart.
Dick, N0IM
> Thanks, Tom--
> Pretty much what I figured, and saves me the hassle of doing the
> Even saves me the hassle of finding my Loos.  Confirms that nothing
> my Dillon series dynamometer!
> But this does allow one to make a calibration scale for a different
> Just put some wire rope in series with the test material, confirm that
> material and get a correction factor for the specific material.  Only
> then is whether 1x7 EHS is orientation specific, if it has an inherent
> or bias or bend.
> BTW  I got my Dillon series dynamometer at a garage sale for $5,
> with its carrying case and two clevises.
> --John  W0UN
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.