Re: [TowerTalk] 160 invertde L

To: "Tom Osborne" <>,"Towertalk" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 invertde L
From: "Tom Rauch" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:51:02 -0400
> Without all the meter readings etc, if I did have a SWR of
3:1 with a 50 ohm
> cable, that would mean the impedance at the feedpoint
could be 16.6 ohms or
> it would be 150 ohms.  I can't figure why it would be
clear down to 16.6 as
> I know the radials are in good shape.  I trimmed all the
ends and
> re-soldered them so they would be fresh.  Would the
presence of the 80 meter
> dipole about 6-8 feet away from the point where the
antenna goes from
> horizontal to vertical mess it up that bad.

An 80m dipole antenna near the inverted L can drastically
affect SWR. Many low 80m dipoles combined with the feedline
act like a T antenna and resonate on 160.

Also, as a general rule the better the radial system (as a
general rule, do not take this as an "always" rule) the
lower the antenna feed impedance. It might easily be 15-20
ohms feed impedance.

73 Tom

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.