[TowerTalk] 40M Elevated Radials?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40M Elevated Radials?
From: "Gedas" <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:53:59 -0500
Please excuse this post if you have seen it already.  I sent it out and never
saw it posted so I guess it never made it to the group.

It is time for me to install some phased verticals for 40m.  Many years ago I
had a full sized pair separated 1/4-wave, each over 25 1/4-wave buried radials
using a home brew continuously tunable phasing network that worked pretty darn
good.  Now it is 25 years later I would like to go back to a directional
vertical system on 40m.  I was all set to build a pair of self-supporting
verticals, base elevated 5' off the ground and use 4 elevated radials for each.
 EZNEC models seem to indicate that the performance might be very comparable to
many ground buried radials.  However, I understand that their may be some
misunderstandings floating around about the accuracy of the models used and the
results that have been propagated.  My question is should I move forward and
try the elevated radials or stick to the traditional ground mounted approach?
Has anyone actually played with both that might be able to shed some light on
this for me.

Gedas, w8bya

e-mail  w8bya@mchsi.com
online gallery  http://gedas.cc