[TowerTalk] Will my roof stay on?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Will my roof stay on?
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:04:45 -0700
I'm about to install a roof tower with a 2.5 square feet winload antenna.
I'm contemplating mast length and have come to realize that I don't really
know what computations I should be making to avoid damage to my roof.

I was thinking of a 10 foot mast, 6 feet would stick out of the tower. But
why not a 20 foot mast?   How about 13?  How would I know?

I'm looking for references for the computations involved and the forces that
a roof can be expected to endure.    I need to decide what the mast is going
to be made of and how long it can be.  At 80 mph is the roof going to lift
off?

Dick, K6KR