[TowerTalk] Will my roof stay on?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Will my roof stay on?
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:04:45 -0700
I'm about to install a roof tower with a 2.5 square feet winload antenna.
I'm contemplating mast length and have come to realize that I don't really
know what computations I should be making to avoid damage to my roof.

I was thinking of a 10 foot mast, 6 feet would stick out of the tower. But
why not a 20 foot mast?   How about 13?  How would I know?

I'm looking for references for the computations involved and the forces that
a roof can be expected to endure.    I need to decide what the mast is going
to be made of and how long it can be.  At 80 mph is the roof going to lift

Dick, K6KR

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.