[TowerTalk] will my roof stay on

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] will my roof stay on
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:11:29 -0700
Thanks, Bob.

It sounds like you and your pro did a great job in making the installation
strong enough for the conditions you have experienced.

But did you or your pro perform calculations to determine what was required?
I'm trying to figure out the numbers involved.   Glenn Martin Engineering
has instructions for installing the tower that make no mention of angle
iron. They'd have me putting lag bolts into three layers extra 2 x 4 braces.
If I follow their instructions, I'm not sure how high I can go with the
mast.  That's really what I'm trying to figure out.

Are these computations something people worry about, or do they just put
stuff up, shake it a bit and say "looks pretty strong to me"?

Thanks,

Dick, K6KR