Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners for 100 W rigs

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners for 100 W rigs
From: "Tom Rauch" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:10:21 -0400
> Any recommendations for tuners for an IC 706.  It must be
compact for easy
> transport.  Any comments on the LDG line?

One of the last things I was doing for MFJ were the MFJ
automatic tuners. I put a lot of work into component
selection. At the design point where I was comparing them to
LDG tuners components and layout were better for voltage and
current rating, but the baluns came along after I left. A
recent look at MFJ baluns show some serious design flaws.

They use a single core 4:1 current balun (as per incorrect
claims that it works OK by Sevik) and so the 4:1 current
baluns suck big time. They have terrible balance issues. I'm
not sure if all the auto tuners wound up with that poor
balun design or not.

73 Tom

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.