Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners for 100 W rigs

To: "Towertalk" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners for 100 W rigs
From: "Tom Osborne" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:35:36 -0700
Hi Tom et al

I have a MFJ tuner here and in order to be able to hook up the stubs for the
station easier, I terminated the end of my 300 ohm zepp feedline in a coax
jumper about 6" long.  Instead of hooking the open wire to across the balun,
I just put the coax jumper to one of the coax jacks and tuned it that way.
Tunes great and works great as far as I can see.  Is there any downside to
using the coax jacks to the tuner instead of using the balun?  73

> recent look at MFJ baluns show some serious design flaws.
> They use a single core 4:1 current balun (as per incorrect
> claims that it works OK by Sevik) and so the 4:1 current
> baluns suck big time. They have terrible balance issues. I'm
> not sure if all the auto tuners wound up with that poor
> balun design or not.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.