[TowerTalk] Famous/notorious?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Famous/notorious?
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 04:54:42 +0000
TT:

      This evening my front doorbell rang and a neighbor lad and his mom asked
to speak with me about the structure in my back yard.  My wife told me a couple
of days ago these folks had dropped by, asking for me, but I was not at home.
The boy explained that he had an assignment for his middle school class to
study a structure and write a report about it.

     Needless to say I was tickled to have, at last, an audience to regale with
stories of my Trylon tower and its antennas.  (None of my three daughters is
the least bit interested in the tower, and my wife...... the word eyesore comes
to her mind quite often.)

     Long story short (sort of) - I gave him a quick background of the tower
and its construction, including copies of Trylon's drawings from their web
pages, plus answered some non-structure-related questions about the farthest
I'd ever talked on the radio (wish I'd been into moonbounce!).   His mom asked
me for the most interesting contact I'd had - it would have to be the MIR
spacestation.  Showed them QSL cards, the station and some military radios I'm
restoring.  (Of course, he had to ask about the radio-controlled cars I had on
display on the bookcase.)

     He promised to give me a copy of his final report.  Whether he asks me
more questions at that time will tell me whether he was impressed.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
P.S.  His first question:  How do you keep your structure from attracting
lightning?  Smart boy!