Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Long Run of Cables to Tower

To: "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Long Run of Cables to Tower
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:15:34 -0000

> I am getting ready to install a second LM-470 and I have to run
> hardline, 115 VAC, rotor cable and Ameritron remote switch cable from
> the shack to the tower.  My guess is the total run will be around 500
> feet. Since I know a lot of you have already installed runs of this
> length, I have the following questions:
>
>    1. Do I have to worry about voltage drop for the 115 VAC on a run of
>       that length?  The AC is needed for raising and lowering tower.

Probably, calculate the voltage drop based on the resistance of the wire and
the current draw of the motor.  If its more than 10 volts go to the next
larger wire and try again.  I would guess 8ga may be needed, but that's just
a guess.

>    2. Do I have to worry about voltage drop for the rotor voltage?
>       Should I be using heavy gauge rotor cable?

Yes, try 12ga romex or low voltage light cable... though if its an
especially heavy rotor (like a ring rotor) you may need to go to 10ga or
8ga... but only for the two motor conductors.

>    3. I will only need two positions on the Ameritron switch.  Can I get
>       10 conductor cable suitable for both the rotor (8) and the switch
> (2)?

Look around, but if you use romex or low voltage cable for the rotor motor
wires you can use regular 8 conductor cable for the switch and rotor
indicators.  If you use romex for the rotor motor you can probably get
another free wire by using the bare ground for both the switch and rotor
indicator.

>    4. There has been a lot of discussion of running cables in conduit
>       over the years.  What is the consensus opinion on the best way to
>       do this?  My recollection is that some provision has to be made to
>       allow for the evaporation of condensation.  Is it permissible to
>       run all the cables above in a single conduit?

Get a second opinion, but I think there are restrictions on 120v and low
voltage in the same conduit, but I may be wrong on that.  If you are digging
a ditch that far bury a second one and maybe even a third anyway, the
conduit is probably cheaper than getting a ditch digger a second time to add
another one later.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net