Re: [TowerTalk] Rising Input Z with more radials?

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rising Input Z with more radials?
From: "hasan schiers" <schiers@netins.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 18:07:51 -0500
Tom, you were correct about the rising Z. Thanks so much.

I found out why the input Z was going up as I put more radials in...I was
measuring at the end of 55' of LMR-400 (as opposed to the measurements I
took when I was outside originally tuning the antenna.), and that was acting
as a 1/4 wave transformer.

I just went outside and connected through an 18 inch jumper to the MFJ-269
and got the following measurements:

2:1 VSWR Low freq Point: 3460 khz
2:1 VSWR Hi freq Point: 3801 khz
2:1 VSWR Bandwidth: 341 khz
Fo (Resonant freq) = 3560 khz, 40 ohms resistive, 0 ohms reactance

3500    32,9        1.6
3550    38,0        1.0
3600    44,9        1.2
3650    52,19      1.4
3700    57,30      1.6
3750    63,35      1.8
3800    69,39      2.0

Above table: freq, R,+/- j, VSWR, all taken from the MFJ-269

If the radiation resistance is 26 ohms and I measure 38 ohms feed impedance
at resonance, then apparently I have 12 ohms of ground loss, for an
efficiency of:

26/(26+12) or 26/38 = 68%

At least, that's where I'm at for the moment. Time for another 8 radials.

That 1/4 wave transformer (55' of LMR-400 between feedpoint and shack) that
Tom, W8JI, pointed out, makes a big difference in my confusion...at least it
all makes sense now.

I think this system is behaving pretty "traditionally" at this point,
narrower bw is showing lower ground return losses, and the feedpoint Z is
now believable. Assuming that Devoldere's spec of 26 ohms for a .16 lambda
vertical inverted L (the rest being more or less horizontal off the top),
then my ground losses are in the area of 12 ohms with the 8 radials I have
out so far (66' long)

Thanks again, Tom.

73,

...hasan, N0AN