[TowerTalk] Wilson Tilt Over Tower Epilogue

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wilson Tilt Over Tower Epilogue
From: w2cqm@juno.com
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 20:30:06 -0400
        Many thanks to all those who responded to my  recent query about
the Wilson Tilt Over Tower project. All the responses were both  positive
and comprehensive. Work is progressing on the rebuild.  It was
interesting to note that the tower was never galvanized. There appeared
to be an undercoating of red lead  and a second coating of paint. The
undercoating was near perfect when not worn away. The second coat was
generally chipped , cracked, and peeling throughout.   The sections that
were protected with the  undisturbed undercoating  thoroughly preserved
the integrity of the metal. The unprotected surfaces were pock marked
from the action of the rusting process. Fortunately, the metal is in very
good condition. I imagine it's the result of a  heavy gauge, good quality
steel.
         Here's one final question? The tilt over/rotating base section
utilizes two split  yoke type clamps that are secured around the base
tube to keep it from tipping over; and at the same time allowing  for
rotation.   I thought if I could locate two pieces of  1/8" flexible
Teflon (approximate 4"x12")  to secure around the tube  (at the point
where the yokes are positioned) using a pair of aircraft type clamps it
would act as a low friction bearing and simultaneously protect the tube
from wear. Does anyone know a source of supply for small quantity teflon
orders? Any help would be appreciated. 73's Ron W2CQM/3

Epilogue: visit  www.QRZ.COM/W2CQM for a listing of the  most recent
articles authored by  W2CQM.
For an update on the most recent Heath 6m dedicated retrofits,  Drake
L4B/8877  project(s) ,and other amplifier related articles see
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/W2CQMron